Offers from publishers

Walking into sunriseRight now I have written offers from six different publishers (so far).

Yes, six.

Yes, all of them well-known publishing houses.

I know, I’m gobsmacked too.

I’ve spent the last few weeks talking with each of them, on the phone and face-to-face – wonderful and lengthy conversations about writing, editing, history and Elizabeth Macarthur.

I must say that everyone I’ve spoken with has been incredibly friendly and nice.  And all very keen to win me over. I’ve never heard so many people say so many lovely things about my writing!

The offers are more complicated than I naively expected, too. They all differ in terms of advances (and how the advance will be paid – often in installments); royalties (and at how many books sold the royalty percentage rises); marketing plans; rights management; e-books; second books; and a whole heap of other things I really don’t understand. Very glad to have my agent Jacinta di Mase in my corner, fielding the publisher’s emails and encouraging them to up their offers!

While the financial aspects will certainly be a factor in my decision-making, I’m in the very privileged position of being able to choose which publisher will be best for what I hope to achieve.

It’s all so much more than I dared hope for.

Jacinta and I will meet next week to discuss the offers.  Until then I guess I’ll continue to wander about in a daze, all distracted and grinning.

2018-03-27T19:45:28+00:00 July 22nd, 2016|Elizabeth Macarthur, Work in Progress, Writing|0 Comments

No Comments

1. wadholloway July 22, 2016 at 1:06 pm - Reply

People debate “when are you a writer?” And I think it’s when you write. But you know you’re a real writer (or retired politician) when you’ve got offers from publishers. Well done, you must be enjoying yourself immensely.

• Michelle Scott Tucker July 22, 2016 at 1:17 pm - Reply

Thanks Bill, and yes I’m having a wonderful time right now! I agree that you are a writer when you write. Having a publisher makes you an author.

2. Sarah Vincent July 22, 2016 at 1:51 pm - Reply

Yeehah! That is so exciting!!! Lap up all that praise – you deserve it!

• Michelle Scott Tucker July 22, 2016 at 2:12 pm - Reply

I’m not sure I do deserve it but yes, I’ll lap it up all the same! Thanks Sarah.

3. anisakazemi July 22, 2016 at 3:12 pm - Reply

Wow go you! That is my dream <3

4. Gail Rehbein July 22, 2016 at 3:29 pm - Reply

Wow! This is V E R Y exciting Michelle. I’m smiling wide as I write this – I’m so very happy to read this latest news. It’s fantastic! And sounds like a very enjoyable daze to wander in 🙂 Well done!

• Michelle Scott Tucker July 22, 2016 at 4:13 pm - Reply

Thanks Gail, that’s really kind. I may even give the daze a little alcoholic assistance this evening – cheers!

5. Lisa Hill July 22, 2016 at 3:40 pm - Reply

Well I am not surprised at all, because it is high time we the general public had a bio of Elizabeth to read! We learned about her at school, but of course we learned more about her husband and not enough about her…and so we can’t wait to get our hands on this book of yours:)

• Michelle Scott Tucker July 22, 2016 at 4:15 pm - Reply

Thanks Lisa, I really do appreciate your support. Although I still have to actually finish the jolly thing. All this is excitement is leaving me too distracted to make much progress right now!

• Lisa Hill July 22, 2016 at 6:54 pm - Reply

Right-i-o!
        *sound of whip cracking!*
        Time to get back to work on it, then 🙂

• Michelle Scott Tucker July 22, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Ha ha. Okey dokey then. But maybe a teensy little drink first…

6. Annie Barrett July 22, 2016 at 4:12 pm - Reply

Wow Michelle I am so happy for you!! big Congrats.

7. Anne July 22, 2016 at 4:25 pm - Reply

Congrats to you, think of all that hard work (and to come) – then enjoy.

8. Nathan Hobby July 22, 2016 at 5:40 pm - Reply

Congratulations! A wonderful dilemma to be in. Hope the right choice becomes apparent.

9. learnearnandreturn July 22, 2016 at 6:00 pm - Reply

Wow! Just wow!

10. sharkell July 23, 2016 at 12:19 pm - Reply

Congratulations – if that many publishers are fighting for you, your book must be great – I can’t wait to read it!

• Michelle Scott Tucker July 23, 2016 at 5:55 pm - Reply

Thanks Sharkell – Not finished yet but I’m writing as fast as I can (too scared of Lisa not to!!) 😉

11. Ms Frugal Ears July 24, 2016 at 8:39 am - Reply

Congratulations and well deserved. I can’t wait to read your book. It is I believe an important story that every high school student should learn, so I am sure you will have a great market.

• Michelle Scott Tucker July 24, 2016 at 11:52 am - Reply

Thank you! It’s funny you should mention high school students – one of the options on the table is to produce a second version of the biography for YA readers (as a high school text book, I guess).

12. tasbiophiliac July 30, 2016 at 12:03 pm - Reply

This is totes amazeballs! Big congrats!!

(and I loved the octopus book BTW – thanks heaps x)

13. Simply-Me October 29, 2016 at 9:44 pm - Reply

Congratulations and well done for your hard work. It is always good to see when it is paid off.

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you...

%d bloggers like this: